Thursday, December 11, 2014

In Search of Christmas Spirit - Day 10

Day 10:  Baking

I'm getting home late tonight after chaperoning in the green room for my daughter's play, "Cyrano de BurgerShack".  That's right, the green room.  I think chaperoning qualifies me to use theater speak.  After all, I did have to get finger-printed and pass a background check to be there.  I'm so relieved that my criminal past didn't prevent me from chaperoning.

Because it's so late, this post is going to be short, but sweet.  Sweet because today I tried to increase my Christmas spirit by baking.  I love to bake!  Pies, cookies, quick breads, you name it, I love to bake it.  And the smell of Christmas cookies baking in the oven is enough to fill anyone with Christmas spirit.


First I baked Christmas cupcakes for the cast and crew of "Cyrano de BurgerShack."


I made 2 dozen cupcakes for the kids and they were demolished in 5 minutes flat.  It's so much fun to bake for teenagers!

Then I baked Christmas cookies for the bake sale that will take place during the performances.  I chose a favorite butter cookie recipe from Susan Branch (click here for Susan's recipe).  I love this recipe because it's so versatile.  Today I chose to roll the dough into logs that I then rolled in red and green sugar.  After chilling the logs, I cut them into 1/2" slices and baked them for 11 minutes at 350°.  It's a great way to get a lot of cookies in a hurry, and aren't they pretty!?


Here they are packaged up and ready to sell during the play intermissions:


And now after spending hours and hours with 25 teenagers who were high on adrenaline and sugar, and low on deodorant, I'm off to bed.  Christmas spirit on the rise.  Energy on the wane.