Saturday, December 19, 2015

Peace on Earth - A Mystery Quilt - Day 10

Day 10 and the last weekend before Christmas -- yikes!!  Lots to do today, so today's post is going to be a short one.  We're doing wool appliqué again and making the final component of our mystery quilts -- so exciting!

In my Day 9 post, I wrote about the two different methods I use for wool appliqué (freezer paper and fusible web) and how I choose my method depending on the project.  This component features appliquéd lettering and because I wanted to be very sure that the letters didn't shift as I stitched them down, I chose to use the fusible web method.  Let's get started:

You'll need:

Dark Blue Print
1 -- 3½" x 10½" rectangle



Brown felted wool



You'll also need brown embroidery floss.



Here's an idea of what you'll be making:


We're appliquéing the word "peace" -- hence the name of the quilt.  Ah, it's all starting to become clear!  

I used a variety of brown wools for my letters, but you can use just one or choose a different color or even use flannel or quilting cottons -- whatever you like.  Click here for the link to the lettering templates.  You'll see that I've provided standard and reversed templates for the "peace" lettering.  If you choose to use the freezer paper method, you'll want to use the standard templates.  For the fusible web method, use the reversed templates.  Refer back to my Day 9 post for detailed instructions about appliquéing using the fusible web method.

Today should be pretty easy -- just prepare your appliqué letters, center them on your 3½" x 10½" rectangle, and stitch them down, preferably with an egg nog at your side and your favorite Christmas movie on in the background. 


Here's a look at my finished "peace".


Only two more days left!  Next time we'll assemble our little quilts and I can't wait for you to see how it all comes together!