Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sew Sweet

I'm a bit late with a post this week because I've been working on these...


Chocolate dipped shortbread hearts for my family.  Shhh...  I rolled out my favorite shortbread recipe (from Rosie's Bakery All-Butter, Fresh Cream, Sugar-Packed, No-Holds-Barred Baking Book by Judy Rosenberg) and cut out these tiny hearts.  After I baked them, I dipped one side of each cookie into melted chocolate chips.  I had a bit of chocolate left over and even though I was alone in the kitchen, I didn't think it was advisable to eat it by the spoonful.  But since I couldn't bear to throw it away, I put it in a ziploc sandwich bag, cut off one of the corners, and drizzled squiggles and swirls on some of the cookies.  The more chocolate, the better.  Can I just say "Yum!".

I also decided to give myself a valentine and made this...

I'd been thinking of making a Valentine's Day quilt to display on the miniature quilt frame that my mom gave me for Christmas (see 'Tis Better to Give:  Part 2) but I wasn't sure which block to choose.  After a conversation with my sister, I was inspired to appliqué some primitive hearts and this is what I came up with.  The hearts are made of felted wool that I had in my stash (my other stash).  Even with the hand-quilting I added around each heart for a bit more dimension and the multiple trips I had to take outside with the puppy, it only took a few hours to make this 6" x 6" quilt.  In fact the most time consuming part was the binding.




I love to appliqué felted wool because it's sooo easy.  Once the wool is felted, I trace appliqué shapes on freezer paper and cut them out at least 1/4" outside the drawn line.  I then iron the shapes to the wool (shiny side down) and cut them out (this time on the drawn line).  I usually don't bother with fusible web, but simply pin the shapes to the background and appliqué them with a single strand of embroidery floss and a whipstitch.  Couldn't be faster or more fun and I love the look.





I'm pretty happy with how these little hearts turned out.  My belly is full of chocolate-dipped shortbread and my mind is full of ideas for other heart quilts -- Happy Valentine's Day to me! 

Hope your day is just as sweet!