Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

As you may recall, my family brought home a puppy the week before Christmas.  Things are finally beginning to settle down a bit, but following Casey around trying to prevent accidents seems to be impeding my ability to focus.  Normally I try to start a new year off with a big list of resolutions complete with action plans, progress charts, and, of course, an incentive program.  But thanks to my foggy brain, this year, the only resolution I've been able to come up with so far is to floss every night.

I decided to ask my family for resolution suggestions and here are some of the highlights...

My husband's contributions were:  "Always cut on the bias" and "Make liberal use of interfacing."  While I admire his grasp of sewing vocabulary, somehow I think his heart wasn't in it.

My youngest son's suggestion was:  "Stay quilting my friends."  Great idea, but I'm a little disturbed that he's referencing Dos Equis beer commercials at 10 years of age.

My oldest son was right on the money with his idea:  "Go big and bold!"  Probably not a bad idea for me to try something other than my usual muted palette and small scale fabrics.  At least I think he was referring to quilting...

My daughter, a fellow crafter, had a couple of useful suggestions:  "Finish your UFO's" and "Wear comfortable shoes."  She also came up with my favorite idea:  "Less talky, more quilty."  Enough said.

Still searching for ideas, I approached my mother and sister.  My mom informed me that she was thinking about not buying any more fabric until she has used some of hers up.  Clearly, and much to my husband's chagrin, I'm not even considering this resolution.  My sister plans to be mindful and to record a year in the life of her family by taking a photograph a day and scrapbooking it.  As good as it sounds, I'm not sure it's possible to be mindful while raising a puppy.

So now that I've surveyed my family what are my resolutions for 2012 going to be?  Well, I'd like to train the puppy to go outside only 10 times a day instead of her current average of 20.  I'd like to exercise more, drink more water, and eat more fruits and veggies and less chips and queso.  I'd like to get organized and up my productivity -- less talky, more quilty!  I'd like to continue to write a post for my blog every Monday (oops, please disregard that today is Tuesday!).  And finally, I'd like to see what I can do about the quilt pattern book idea that was rolling around in my head before Casey came to stay. 

Ambitious?  Yes.    Possible?  Maybe.    Healthy gums?  Definitely.

Happy New Year!
Casey's latest mug shot.