Today we'll work on sashing strip #3. We're making diamonds with a simple straight stitch and sprucing them up with a French knot in each center.
Here's a look at today's stitching:
First let's mark our sashing strips:
- Referring to the diagram below, make a mark ⅜" in from the left edge of your strip and ¼" down from the upper edge of your strip.
- Make a second mark ¾" to the right of the mark made in step 1—again the mark should be ¼" down from the upper edge of your sashing strip.
- Continue in same manner, making marks every ¾" along the length of the sashing strip (always ¼" down from the upper edge). The last mark should end up ⅜" from the right edge of your sashing strip.
- Repeat steps 1-3 along the bottom edge of your sashing strip—this time all marks should be ¼" from the bottom edge of the sashing strip.
- Make a small mark at the center of the left edge of your sashing strip. The mark should be ⅝" from the top and bottom seams.
- In the same manner, make a mark every ¾" along the center and length of your sashing strip.
- Place your marked quilt top/batting sandwich in an embroidery hoop.
- Thread an embroidery needle with two strands of embroidery floss.
- Referring to the diagram below, start at the top and bring your needle up at point A and down through point B.
- Bring your needle up at point C and down again through point B.
- Bring your needle up at point D and down through point C.
- Bring your needle up at point A and down through point D.
- Bring your needle up at point E and down again through point D.
- Bring your needle up at point F and down again through point D.
- Continue in same manner until you've stitched diamonds across the lenght of your sashing strip.
Embroider French Knots in Diamond Centers:
- Thread an embroidery needle with a least two strands of floss. If you'd like your knots to be bigger, you can use three strands of floss.
- Bring your needle up through the center of a stitched diamond.
- Wrap the floss two or three times around the end your needle.
- While gently pulling the floss so that the wrapped floss tightens on the needle, insert the needle right next to the point where you brought your needle up through your work.
- Pull your floss through to the back until a knot is formed.
- Move over to the next diamond center and repeat steps until all diamonds have a French knot stitched in the center.
That's it for today! Pretty, isn't it?! One more sashing strip to go and then we'll talk about finishing touches!
And by the way, if you're looking for ideas for a last-minute handmade gift or if the polar vortex is getting you down, I've got the solution! It's my Posies mini quilt! You can find the free tutorial for this sweet little project now at the Moda Bake Shop.
See you back here Wednesday for Day 11!